Passport status: Passport is a very important document which is required to travel abroad and also can be used as a valid identity proof. After you have applied for passport status online verified your documents at Passport office which is also called Passport Seva Kendra(PSK) or Regional Passport Office(RPO), you can check your passport application status online.
After you have applied for passport through online registration and form-filling, you may want to check passport status. Here, we are going to give you exact method to how you can track your passport status. The method we are going to give you to check your passport status involves passport tracking online in India.
But you may say, What should I do to track my passport status? Complete step by step guide to track passport application is given below.
Track Your Passport status
You can check your passport application status at the official website of Passport Authority Of India at this link:
The page will look like the following image:
In case you do not know about what to fill here, here is some info about it.
- Select Application Type: Here, you need to select what service do you want to track. Since we are tracking status of passport application, select Passport/PCC/IC.
- File number: It is a 15 digit alphanumeric number which will be printed on top right corner of your acknowledgment letter (A letter which will be given at exit point in PSK after submission of application).
- Date of Birth : Your date of birth in DD/MM/YYYY format.
Now click on track status button, You will get your passport status like given in the following image.
Thus, finally, you got your passport status online using this method. It is always advised to check status of your passport application only from the official website.
Meaning Of Different Status in checking Passport Status
When you click on track status button, the result will come according to the current passport status.Based on your passport status, one of the following results will be displayed. Remember that the online status of your passport application may not always match the current passport status. Sometimes the passport status is not up-to-date or not entered correctly into the system due to some error.
- Application submitted: This means your application has been submitted successfully along with necessary documents and fees.
- Application under review: It means your Passport application is still under review by Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or Regional Passport Office(RPO) where you submitted the application.
- Police verification pending : Police verification for Passport application is pending. You need to do physical police verification at your nearest police station.
- Police verification initiated: Police station has initiated the verification of your documents.
- Police report submitted : Police report has been submitted by police station and sent to Commissioner of Police for review.
- Police report under review : Police Verification Report for your passport application is under review at Regional Passport Office(RPO). After Police Verification Report is cleared, the passport will be dispatched. You would receive an SMS/e-mail once the passport is dispatched.
- Police report not clear : Police Verification Report is not clear and application is under review at Regional Passport Office.
- Passport granted : Your passport application has been granted. All of your documents are found clear. Passport printing would be initiated.
- Passport printed : Passport has been successfully printed.
- Passport dispatched : Your passport has been successfully dispatched after printing and shortly will be at your address.
- Passport returned undelivered : Passport has been returned without delivery for any reason. Contact Regional passport Office or Passport Seva Kendra.
Passport Status and Updates through SMS
You can also get your passport status application-related updates on your mobile through the service of SMS which is effective from 16th Nov, 2013. From the time of enrollment, until the passport is printed, you will receive the progress status of your application and alerts for pending actions through the SMS service. You can avail the SMS service from any mobile phone, not necessarily your device should be smart phone.
You get up to 9 SMS for regular updates about your passport status, but you can also send SMS at any time to know the status of your online passport application. Note that SMS service is not free, and you have to pay 40 Rs. at Passport Seva Kendra in cash if you have not enrolled online.
If you have submitted the application form online or uploaded e-Form, you can enroll for SMS service using the link ‘Enroll for SMS Services’ available under ‘Services’ section after login.
On enrolment of SMS Service, PSP will send the following on the registered Mobile Number:
- Alerts for submission of documents, respond to notifications and collection of passport/PCC. For exceptions or errors in processing at any stage, penalty and Show Cause Notices.
- Updates On police verification and Passport Printing/Dispatch
In addition, you can track passport application and passport status by sending an SMS to 9704100100 in the format STATUS FILENUMBER, for example, STATUS BNG071268435013.
For more information about SMS services for status of passport application or passport status read
Passport tracking through Mobile App (Android/IOS)
There is also an app available for checking passport application status on your mobile named mPassport Seva.This app is available for android, IOS, windows and blackberry platforms. It is an app solely dedicated to passport related information and help only. Its features are:
- This app provides information on various steps involved to obtain a passport related service and where to call in case of queries or concerns.
The users are able to search for a Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or District Passport Cell (DPC). Citizens living overseas can find out relevant information about the Missions/Posts abroad. For certain states and districts, the users can search for Police Stations as well.
- Fee Calculator feature of the application enables users to find out the required fee based on the service and mode of submission.
- And off course, you can check your passport status through the app.
Documents required for getting Passport
After filling the application form for passport, you might be wondering what documents to take to the Passport Seva Kendra(PSK) while going for verification. You need to bring various documents for verification after applying.
You’ll need documents for Identity, Address, and Date of birth Proofs. We’ve created a list of documents that you can submit as a Proofs. Once documents are verified, you can check your passport status through above tutorial!
Passport Fees For Various Types Of Passports
Passport applications are of various types, normal and tatkal, and also applications for fresh and re-issue of passport. These, all applications for passport require different amount of fees.
The fees for the passport are different for minors below 18, adults and also senior citizen. We have prepared an article on Passport fees in India where we have explained fees structure for every type of applications.
Regional Passport Offices In India
Passport Seva Kendra and Regional Passport Office which are the places you have to go for your document verification and passport approval. Passport Offices in India are known as Passport Seva Kendras (PSK’s). As of 2017, The Ministry of External Affairs operates 81 PSKs and these PSK’s are administrated by 37 Regional Passport Offices(RPO). The ministry has also setup 11 mini passport offices known as Passport Seva Laghu Kendras. List of Passport Seva Kendra or RPOs are given below.
|BN||Bangalore||Lal Bagh, Bangalore||Karnataka|
|MA||Chennai||Aminjikarai, Chennai||Tamil Nadu|
|MA||Chennai||Saligramam, Chennai||Tamil Nadu|
|MA||Chennai||Tambaram, Chennai||Tamil Nadu|
|DL||Delhi||New Delhi, Delhi||Delhi|
|DL||Delhi||Rama Krishna Puram, Delhi||Delhi|
|DL||Delhi||Shalimar Bagh, Delhi||Delhi|
|HY||Hyderabad||Toli Chowki, Hyderabad||Telangana|
|JM||Jammu||Jammu||Jammu and Kashmir|
|LK||Lucknow||Gomti Nagar, Lucknow||Uttar Pradesh|
|SG||Srinagar||Srinagar||Jammu and Kashmir|
|VS||Visakhapatnam||Marripalem, Visakhapatnam||Andhra Pradesh|
|VS||Visakhapatnam||Muralinagar, Visakhapatnam||Andhra Pradesh|
Passport Seva Official Website
Indian Government has also launched also web portal for various information and help related to passport services.The website is : http://www.passportindia.gov.in where one can find information related to passport status. There are FAQs on website to get the questions of visitors answered regarding their various queries. It shows if there is an appointment available, how many appointments has been already given in a particular PSK.
From the website, a user can also track passport status as given above. One can fill the form online and get the appointment to PSK for their passport and passport status Thus, the website is a very helpful service launched by the government of India to check online passport application status.
If you are facing any problems or difficulty regarding checking your passport status or filling application for passport online, you can contact customer support at their national call center by dialing 1800-258-1800 (Toll Free)
National Call Centre Timings:
- Citizen Service Executive Support: 8 AM to 10 PM
- Automated Interactive Voice Response (IVRS) Support: 24 hours
This website is specially Made to Guide you How to track or Check Passport Status online. Hope you now Know the process and Help us Spread the knowledge about Passport status by sharing.
We’ll update this page regularly with New Content and Updates related to Passport and passport status. You can comment down your Queries or Questions on the Guides and Tutorials of this Website; We’ll give our best to solve your queries!